Applications for the 2019 Catherine Hannah Behrend Fellowship are now open!
Do you oversee a visual arts program at a large or small museum, gallery, community-based organization, or media or technology enterprise?
Do you need more knowledge and a strategic perspective on how to manage a visual arts organization?
Are you passionate about visual arts and public interpretation, education, curatorial services, media, and/or visitor’s services?
We are looking for rising leaders in New York City’s visual arts sector!
The Catherine Hannah Behrend Fellowship will provide two rising stars in visual arts management with executive-level mentors, invitations to high-level planning and strategy sessions, meetings with 92nd Street Y programming directors, and access to the wider 92Y staff and community.
Fellows will receive immersive instruction in visual arts management via monthly one-on-one meetings with seniors directors in various 92Y departments (marketing, development, innovation, education, budgeting, programming, etc.) These leaders will provide behind-the-scenes perspectives of ongoing projects, challenges, and systems in their respective areas. Fellows will be asked to read background articles and other materials prior to these meetings and, afterward, to reflect upon key learnings and highlights from the month’s curriculum topic.
Over the course of the year, Fellows will also have the opportunity to work on a visual arts project meaningful to them. More details will be provided prior to the interview component of the application process.
Fellows will receive additional exposure and training through the Women inPower Fellowship program, which provides senior female leaders across all major industries with professional development workshops and the networking and support they need to advance to the next stage of their careers.
How to Apply
To be considered for the Fellowship, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- In visual arts upper-middle management
- Is based in New York City or nearby
- Open to exploring new ideas and perspectives
- Uncompromising in her professional advancement
- Eager to learn new strategies to succeed
- Willing to share her experiences and insights with the wider 92Y community
- Committed to participating in 7-8 hours of Fellowship activities (this includes approximately 3 hours for in-person meetings at 92Y & Women inPower events.) The remaining time commitment will be for readings, preparing for meetings, and developing a program initiative.
- Have approval from their manager to participate in the Fellowship, given its time commitment
Please feel free to email us with any questions. You can see our current Fellows here.